Saturday, February 7, 2015

I thought we had a hundred years, a poem

If this is the kind of place where stray cats are fed
and stars pump their fuel
and ripped paper dolls are sewn back together again,
I think I’ll stay thank you very much.
I’ll lean my head upward so that
my jaw is another slope in the candy mountain range
and lick the honey sun with a tongue so thick
I think I’ll choke myself.
I’ll run down the streets when it is nighttime,
spin through the dark like some kind of murky nebulae
and emerge with a constellation that I’ll lace around my neck.
And when I begin to remember what alone feels like,
somewhere between these glass houses and French-perfumed alleys
your step will sound and your shadow, too,
and your hand, aged but familiar, will fall into mine.
You have the face of a deep lake, enclosed but mysterious,
I will tell you I have missed it, or at least the promise it held.
Nevertheless, a thousand boiling sunsets will trickle over our heads
like watered-down wine. A few roll behind us

but hundreds more swear to come.
the streets will throb with the world’s orbit,
our footsteps will shatter glass, a ceramic surrender.

Holding your hand, under a lemonade sun,
I will tell you I’m sorry,
that I forget what I was going to say.
But you tell me it’s okay.

The wind will go on beating.

So I, unafraid of the uncharted, will nest
into the crook of your pillow-elbows,
your heartbeat my propellor,
tuck my beak into the midnight galaxy,
the moons -- pale, flat organs,

left chasing after the stars in our wake.

No comments:

Post a Comment