Saturday, February 7, 2015

Reunion, a poem

Eleven summers after we buried cousin Gavin
under the backyard pear tree,
his bones still orchestrate the steady plunk
of fruit bodies onto his parents’ bedroom ceiling,
rust-colored pears whose midnight knocks
remind us all that we will not be sheltered.
On the porch bench, cigarette between his fingers,
gran’pa dozes in a pool of light.
Maybe this is salvation or
maybe it is the truth: an old man
on a morning when his children
are too busy to notice him.
The dogs smell his
feet as if he has spent the morning
in a butcher-shop,
as if the last time
he hit the ground running
wasn’t in Pleiku, where, groaning,
the sky had splintered upward
along with all the bones
in his left foot.
In Jack’s room, a goldfish swims
in a plastic tank,
greased-up and greenish-white.
Can’t tell if it’s dead or alive --
but does it matter?
The only one who has ever passed
a glance at it was Marley,
who has sensitive ears.
(This is a family of
misinformed desires.)
In the kitchen,
empty palms concertina upward
from the twin, rust-colored ribcages
that dot my aunt’s kitchen countertop.
Marley, who is indefatigable,
tells me that hugs comfort
because they make us feel that
we are in the womb again.
I want to tell her that still,
there are days I cannot run a knife
down the belly of a glaze-eyed fish
without imagining
the skin of Gavin’s wrist, opening
under all the disquiet in his system,
the electric vibrato of his pulse
spilled onto a kitchen floor.
But instead, I lift her up,
she, who at seven,
is the cleanest thing in this house.
Come here, say my arms,
the concave of my pear-skin hip,

Let me give you the life of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment