Thursday, May 22, 2014

For you, seven months after; a poem


I will not start at the beginning

because I do not want to start with
the past, and I will not start at the
end because there is no end.
Instead, I will start with what I understand,
which is that I understand nothing,  
except that it has been seven months
and I still understand nothing.

Seven months and still I have not
seen your shadow over frozen lasagna,
or heard the fall of your footsteps and
the clay teacups ringing with them, or listened to
your night breath shuffle the air inside your nose.
Seven months and still you have not told me
to pick up my dirty socks, and your hand has not
curled around mine when the ice begins to form on
the windshield, and you have not taught me
how to find x,  even though I still do not know how to.

Seven months and the other day I found a video of
you eating snails in Bruges and I cried, not because
I wanted a snail in my mouth again,
but because I had already forgotten
how to listen to your voice.

I had a dream, once, that we
(and by that I mean all of us) were eating seafood
at the dining-room table, and we were laughing,
and bloated, and happy, and it was
the simplest thing I have ever known.

I know that means something.
But I don’t know if I can understand it.

Seven months ago, when the hospital called us,
I laughed. They told us you fell and I imagined
you falling, and it was quite a silly image.


Then we got to the hospital and learned the truth.
It wasn’t a fall.
It was a heart attack.

I’m not sure why I laughed.
I’m not sure why they lied.

I shouldn’t have laughed.

The day you died, the hospital was
empty. The air was quiet. They
had taken off your clothes and
tucked you into a white blanket.
The nurses (I hated them)
cried with us.

They had closed the curtains around
your bed for privacy, but when we
walked out, we saw another bed,
its curtains open, a man sitting on it
and talking to a nurse.

And as I looked at the space between
those two curtains, I felt something
hard congealing in the cavity between my ribs,
something cold and unknown and foreign.

I had never felt such hate for
anything in my life.

And I’m not sure which one I hated
more: the man sitting inside those
curtains or the fact that there was a
space between those curtains at all --
that life was not already smoothed over,
tucked away,
gone.

The summer before you died, I wrote
a novel, all Southern and sweet:
dusty roads, overalls, ghosts that came
home again.
I couldn’t help it.
I was fifteen, I believed in myself,
and I made lists of literary agents
because there was a Pulitzer with
my name on it.

Little did I realize, I didn’t know enough
about life to be writing a book about it.
I was fifteen that summer
when the ghosts came home.
Now I am sixteen
and there are no ghosts.

Seven months will turn into
seven years. Seven years into seventy.
Seventy years and still no ghosts.

Sometimes it makes me want to scream.

I will not end with the beginning because
I cannot change the past, and I will not
end with the ending because there is no end.
Instead, I will end with what I understand, which is
that I understand nothing.

Unless--

My favorite picture of you was taken
at the Great Wall of China,
unpeopled in the early morning,
the mist curling around everything,
the air white and thin and pristine.
You have your back turned to the camera,
and you are staring out at something I cannot see,
and the back of your shirt says
“Follow me to the finish line.”

I know that means something.
But I don’t know if I can understand it.

So, instead, I will end with
what I know for sure:
That I love you,
and that there are no ghosts.

That even if I love you,
there will still be no ghosts.

And that even if there are no ghosts,

I will still love you.


1 comment:

  1. This was beautifully written, Zoe. I loved that you didn't hold back in your emotions. You took me to a raw, emotional place that I wasn't expecting. And the love you have for your Dad is so apparent.

    Thank you for sharing. This might not mean much--(except that I enjoy reading poetry and took a few poetry classes in college)--but I love your writing and think you have a gift.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete