Thursday, May 22, 2014

sunday afternoon when god is watching, a poem


i would like You to make me some soup,

Dad.
maybe one sunday when i am doing biology homework
on the crooked edge of the dining-room table,
my brain wheezing and darwin’s theory of evolution falling
like dust through my eyes, i will look up and
You will be standing there.
You will ask me what kind of soup i want
(like You’ve never even left in the first place), and
i will tell You (but it really doesn’t matter what kind).
and i will smile as Your lips part like the red sea,
as You laugh your throaty church-bell tremors that
slide like the shadows of gabriel’s wings into the sky.
i’ll watch You with your strong arms and
feather-light fingers winging away at the deep basin,
silver spoons ringing in a gospel hymn as carrots
fall like egyptian soldiers into a sea of red.
next come the potatoes - broiled with thick skins like
the footpads of the apostles - and
into it we’ll add the salt, small but biting, like
david as he swung the rock and burst
goliath’s skull.
i’ll look up at you in subservience as
You kiss the air -- “Once, for good luck,” you say,
and i’ll close my eyes and lean in close to the pot,
and the steam will rise like a prophecy and
wash
everything
away.

then You’ll hold out the blood to me -
red and thick in a white china bowl, and i’ll
gladly accept, drink it and tomato bits will
stick in my teeth and i’ll laugh even though
i’ve never tasted anything more sour in my life.
You’ll smile Your still-photograph smile, Dad, because
it’s the only thing i can remember, and You’ll hold
the ladle out to me like an opportunity, and i’ll
drink some more, and ask for more, and when i finish
You’ll wrap your arms around me, and
i’ll close my eyes and think
i’ve never felt anything
more heavenly in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment