Thursday, May 22, 2014

From Penelope, to Odysseus lost at sea; a poem


The olives are ready for harvest.

Hard and salty like little boys’ fingers.
Gnarled trees with white arms
standing like sentinels. Night comes and
I dream of citadels and plunder.
Waves stain the windows with
their morning breath. Creep into my bed
like lusting gods;
Nothing here is completely dry anymore.
The suitors around the fire eat our lambs and
the fat drips down their cheeks. They
drink our wine and the vomit flows from
their mouths.
Both of these things help the fire burn.
Sometimes, when they catch
me watching, they laugh and
tell me you are dead.

Here is the truth.
I wish you were dead.
Two days ago, I shattered
an amphora. Wine, ruby-red,
licked and buried itself
into the white marble.
It shocked me. I could’ve
sworn that daggers had
flown through my heart.
The wine looked so like blood.
I pretended I was cleaning
your blood from the floor.
The night is blacker here.
I cannot remember if it has
always been so black.
Perhaps your blood has
sunk into the sky like
bones into wet dirt. Or
the waves have dampened the clouds
like a drunkard will spoil his
own chiton.
Either way, the product remains.
Things are blacker where
the soul dips into ink.

2 comments:

  1. I'm starting to get the feeling that maybe you like history, or religion. Or maybe you have a strong interest in both. "Dampered the clouds like a drunkard" is a wonderfully crafted line. "Perhaps your blood has sunken into the sky" is a chilling line, especially since the rest of the sentence ends with "like bones into wet dirt." Once again painting a beautiful poetic picture for me to visualize and I love it. I'm not an expert in Greek mythology, I used to read a lot of books on Greek mythology so I think this is a true interpretation from an actual greek story and your retelling the story of when Odysses was lost at see. I think, I don't know though! But it can also be the story of when Penelope the goddess was married off to Hades, I think her name was Penelope. Maybe this is her journey into hell. I don't know, its been awhile since I've read up on this stuff, forgive me. But maybe you could answer this question, what is this piece bases off of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This piece is based off Homer's Odyssey. However, the Odyssey is told from Odysseus' point of view, so I thought it would be interesting to give his wife, Penelope, a brief narrative. Context: Odysseus is the king of Ithaca and went to Troy to fight in the Trojan War. However, on the way home by sea, he encountered many obstacles and many temptations, delaying his arrival home by 20 years. All the while, his wife and son are waiting in Ithaca, and his wife is being courted by many suitors (whom she would rather not have the company of). I thought it would be interesting to give brief insight into the thoughts of Penelope, who is constantly in this dark state of mind, worrying and waiting and not knowing when the waiting will end. For 20 years, she does not know if her husband is still heading homeward, or if he is dead at sea.

      Delete